Kernel Security Projects
- Linux Security Modules (LSM), the API for access control frameworks.
- AppArmor, a pathname-based access control system.
- Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux), a flexible and fine-grained MAC framework.
- SMACK, the Simplified Mandatory Access Control Kernel for Linux.
This is a rapidly developing area, see the following LWN article for an overview:
There are several separately maintained projects relating to network security, including:
- Netfilter packet filtering.
- Labeled Networking, including NetLabel, CIPSO, Labeled IPsec and SECMARK, see Paul Moore's blog.
- Labeled NFS, a project to add MAC labeling support to the NFSv4 protocol.
There are several related works-in-progress in this area:
The cryptographic subsystem is maintained separately by Herbert Xu, refer to the mailing list.